So, you have decided you are ready to sell your home in the Poconos, the Beautiful Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. But, are you really ready. Many considerations need to be taken into account once you decide you are ready. Here are 7 steps to get you started.
1) TO GET THE BEST VALUE FOR YOUR HOME Clean & Spruce Up. Todays home buyer wants the home to be in move-in condition. If you still have the old 70's dark paneling on your walls - GET RID OF IT. Either paint it or replace it. DARK IS OUT - LIGHT AND BRIGHT IS IN! If your carpet is worn out REPLACE it with hardwood floors(todays buyers love hardwood floors) or at least new carpet, keeping neutral in mind or be prepared to offer a carpet allowance.
Are all your windows operating properly? How about the faucets - do they drip. Every little bit that you do to help get your home into tip-top shape will help you sell and get you the best value.
Is your crawl space or your basement damp and musty smelling. CLEAN IT UP. You must run a dehumdifier in your basement or crawl space at this time of year or the dampness and the mold will take over. Mold is a very BIG issue in our area, here deep in the woods of the POCONO MOUNTAINS.
Most buyers will run as soon as they see mold whether it is black mold or not so clean it up and keep it out!
2) ENHANCE YOUR CURB APPEAL! Trim the shrubs so that they do not block the walkway, Get all those branches away from or hanging over the house. Plant some blooming flowers and mulch your beds. If weeds are overtaking your landscaping either change it to lawn or get some weed guard and put it down. Most of todays buyers do not want to take the time and/or do not have the time to be pulling weeds. FIRST IMPRESSIONS MEAN AND SAY A LOT! Make a good first impression.
3) DE-PERSONALIZE THE HOME. I know, I know. I love all the pictures of my family hanging all over my house too however the BUYERS DONT. You have to pack them to move anyway so pack them away now. This will also help the home look less cluttered. If your favorite color schemes are bold and brassy - TONE THEM DOWN. Now is the time you need to go with bland and bright and cheery. Those purple walls - NO - paint them a neutral color and that one RED WALL in the living room - NO - paint it with a neutral color. You will be amazed at how much larger your rooms will appear.
4) PRICE THE HOME FOR THE MARKET YOU ARE IN AND YOUR NEEDS. If you need to sell quickly then you need to price your home lower than all your competition and believe me, in this market you will have plenty of competition. If you want to sell within our average time frame which is currently 3-4 months, then price the home competitively with all your competition. COMPETITIVELY - not a little higher because your lot is bigger or your living room is bigger - COMPETITIVELY. Your Realtor will be able to provide you with homes that are similar to yours that have recently sold in the marketplace and in our marketplace those recent sales have to be at least within the last 6 months, not last year; not 2 years ago. These recently sold homes are a very good guideline for pricing your home properly, the price you need to get your home from JUST LISTED to JUST SOLD.
Check out 6 Common pricing mistakes and how to avoid them from frontdoor.com
5) PACK AWAY ALL THAT YOU CAN, ESPECIALLY THOSE ITEMS YOU WILL NOT BE USING FOR THE NEXT 3-4 MONTHS AND ESPECIALLY ALL VALUABLES. Accidents happen and you do not want to lose your beloved item that you received from you Mom or from one of your children due to an accident so pack it away. Don't take the risk. Also, any valuables - don't offer any temptations and then you will not have to worry about losing it.
6) PREPARE FOR SHOWINGS OF THE HOME. Set out some potpourri or some scented candles. Nothing overbearing, just a little something to help give the home a pleasant smell (especially if you have pets). Be prepared to leave the home for all showings if possible. You want that buyer to feel free to roam around and picture themselves in the home and they cannot do that if you are "hovering." BE PREPARED for last minute showings or late or early showings or showings that never show.
7) THE BIGGEST AND HARDEST PART OF SELLING YOUR HOME FOR MOST SELLERS IS - **DETACHING PERSONALLY FROM THE HOME** You bought this house and turned it into a home, a home you have loved for quite some time (most often). Now you have decided to sell. You must emotionally detach from the home and look at it as a business transaction now. YOU ARE SELLING A HOUSE AGAIN. If you are too emotional about the home then you find that many times you do not think rationally when it comes to working out the details of the sale of the home or dealing with "negative" comments made by buyers when viewing the home THEREFORE to make it less stressful on yourself and everyone involved - EMOTIONALLY DETACH FROM THE HOME.
When looking for a Realtor© in the Poconos that will listen, assist and guide you without "pushing" you, contact Bobbie Smith. I would love to help.
Bobbie Smith, CRS
(Certified Residenial Specialist-CRS)
570-242-1891 Cell Best (Call or Text)
Email me now: firstname.lastname@example.org
All pictures, text, etc. stated within is the exclusive property of Bobbie Smith and cannot be copied or duplicated without written consent from Bobbie Smith. All statistics and data contained herein are obtained from reliable sources and are deemed reliable however each individual should always do their own research on each topic and derive their own conclusions. Any statements of opinion are just that, the opinions of Bobbie Smith. *Realtor is a registered trademark of NAR*